House Bills 39 and 706, passed during the 2012 legislative session and signed by the Governor, moved the responsibility of homeschool reporting from local school systems to the Georgia Department of Education beginning July 1, 2012.

The Georgia Department of Education (GaDOE) developed a web-based system to efficiently comply with the new homeschool requirements. Parents/guardians are strongly encouraged to use the web-based system to submit their homeschool Declaration of Intent and attendance records as doing so will save time and resources for both the parent/guardian and the GaDOE. Please be advised that the GaDOE web-based system is not affiliated with any vendor offering services to homeschool parents/guardians.

The GaDOE web-based system is located on GaDOE’s homeschool webpage. To find the homeschool webpage, go to the GaDOE webpage. After you open the GaDOE webpage, scroll down to the “Parents” section and choose the “Home Schools” link. You also can find the homeschool webpage using the search engine at the top-right corner of the GaDOE screen. Simply search for “homeschool” and it will direct you to the homeschool webpage. Additional information about homeschooling and how to submit homeschool documentation is available on the homeschool webpage.

For parents/guardians who do not wish to use the web-based system, the GaDOE will also provide for the paper submittal of homeschool documentation. Parents/guardians may submit their homeschool documentation via mail or fax to the GaDOE at:

Georgia Department of Education
Homeschool Division
205   Jesse Hill Jr. Drive, SE
Suite 1754 Twin Towers East
Atlanta, GA 30334

Fax: (404) 463-0441

To request a Certificate of Attendance for a driver’s license, learner’s permit, work permit, or as needed for other purposes, please contact:

Linda N. Dunn, Ph.D.
Georgia Department of Education 2053 Twin Towers East
205 Jesse Hill Jr. Drive SE Atlanta, GA 30334

404- 656-3083 (Office)
770-344-4319 (Fax)

Please note: Declarations of Intent must be filed with the Georgia Department of Education, not the Jackson County Board of Education.

When withdrawing your child from his or her current school, you will be asked to fill out an “intent to homeschool” form stating you plan to homeschool your child. This is in addition to filing your Declaration of Intent with the Department of Education.